India became world’s 3rd largest crude steel producer in 2015

Coil-Box-of-Hot-Strip-Mill-SAIL.jpg

India became the world’s 3rd largest producer of crude steel in 2015 against its 8th position in 2003, the steel ministry said in its latest annual report, adding that the country was also the world’s biggest sponge iron producer.

The country is also the 3rd largest consumer of finished steel in the world preceded by China and the USA, with the steel sector contributing to nearly 2 percent of the country’s GDP and employing more than 600,00 people, the report said.

Following is the industry scenario during April-December 2015-16 as compared to same period of last year:

  • Production of crude steel was at 67.077 million tonnes, a growth of 0.9 percent compared to same period of last year.
  • The Integrated Steel Producers (ISP) produced 35.077 million tonnes during this period, which was a growth of 2.1 percent compared to last year.
  • The Mini & Other Producers produced 32 million tonnes during this period, which was a decline of 0.4% percent compared to last year.
  • Pig iron production for sale was 7.202 million tonnes (a decline of 0.1 percent compared to last year), after accounting for own consumption/Inter Plant Transfers (IPT).
  • The ISPs accounted for 12 percent of the same, the rest (88 percent) being the share of the Mini & Other Producers.

In case of total finished steel (alloy + non-alloy):

  • Production for sale stood at 67.711 million tonnes, a decline of 1.8 percent compared to last year.
  • Exports stood at 2.911 million tonnes, a decline of 29.7 percent compared to last year.
  • Imports stood at 8.39 million tonnes, a growth of 29.2 percent compared to last year.
  • India was a net importer of total finished steel.
  • Real consumption stood at 58.937 million tonnes, a growth of 4.4 percent compared to last year.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *