India’s horticulture production hit a record 300.6 million tonnes in 2016/17 and are seen rising by 5 percent in the current 2017/18 fiscal, according to the first advance estimated released by the agriculture ministry.
The following table summarises the All-India Final Estimates: 2016-17 and 2017-18 (1st Advance Estimates):
(First Adv. Est.)
|% change of 2016-17(Final) w.r.t. 2015-16||% change of 2017-18(First Advance Est) w.r.t. 2016-17 (Final)|
Highlights for 2016-17 (Final Estimates):-
- There has been a record production of horticulture crops with production during the year 2016-17(F) reaching 300.6 million tonnes which is 5% higher than in the previous year.
- Productivity for horticulture sector as a whole, has increased by about 3.45% in 2016-17 (Final Estimates) as compared to 2015-16.
- In fruits, productivity has increased from 14.3 Tonnes/Ha in 2015-16 to 14.6 tonnes/ha in 2016-17 (Final). In vegetables it has increased from 16.7 tonnes/ha in 2015-16 to 17.4 tonnes/ha.
- Production of fruits is estimated to be 93 million tonnes which is 3% higher than previous year.
- There has been a record production of 178 million tonnes of vegetables which is about 5% higher than the previous year.
- With an increase of 7%, the production of onion during the year 2016-17 is estimated at 224 lakh tonnes as against 209 lakh tonnes in 2015-16.
- Production of potato in the year 2016-17 (Final) is estimated at 486 lakh tonnes as against 434 lakh tonnes in 2015-16 which is 12% higher.
- With an increase of 10.5%, the production of tomato in year 2016-17(Final) is estimated at 207 lakh tonnes as against 187 lakh Tonnes in 2015-16.
Highlights of 2017-18 (First Advance Estimates)
- The total horticulture production of the country is estimated to be an impressive level of 305.4 million tonnes during 2017-18 (First Adv. Estimate) which is 1.6% higher than the previous year and 8% higher than the past 5 years’ average production..
- Productivity for horticulture sector as a whole, has marginally increased by about 1.3% in 2017-18 (First Adv. Estimates) as compared to 2016-17.
- Production of fruits is estimated to be about 95 million tonnes which is 2% higher than previous year.
- Production of vegetables is estimated to be about 181 million tonnes which is about 1% higher than the previous year.
- Onion production in the in the current year is likely to be around 214 lakh tonnes as against 224 lakh Tonnes in 2016-17 (Final Est.), which is about 4.5% lower than the previous year.
- Potato production is estimated at 493 lakh Tonnes as against 486 lakh tonnes in 2016-17(Final) which is about 1% higher than the previous year.
- Tomato production in the current year is likely to be around 223 lakh Tonnes as against 207 lakh tonnes in 2016-17 (Final Est.) which is about 7.7% higher than the previous year.