Mustard is leading the sowing trend up north this rabi season

As rabi sowing is gathering momentum, it appears that rapeseed-mustard is emerging as the favoured choice for farmers in Northern India. As of October 29, mustard acreage accounted for some 57 per cent of the total planted area of 43.29 lakh hectares sown till now.

The total acreage is 1.8 per cent higher when compared with last year’s 42.52 lakh hectares during the same period.

Better market prices for mustard along with good residual soil moisture after extended rains have been aiding the sowing trend.

The total oilseeds acreage is up 26.58 per cent at 25.33 lakh hectares. Of this mustard, accounts for a major chunk. In fact, the mustard area is also higher by 26 per cent over the same period last year.

Rajasthan has been leading in the major planting of mustard at 16.9 lakh hectares, followed by Uttar Pradesh at 5.96 lakh hectares and Madhya Pradesh at 1.25 lakh hectares.

The post-monsoon rainfall continues to be good across the country, which has received 38 per cent more precipitation than normal during October 1-27. About 85 per cent of the area has received normal to large excess rainfall, while the remaining 15 per cent had witnessed deficient rains. Besides mustard, the other crop which has witnessed a growth in acreage is maize, while all other crops are trailing last year’s levels. Maize acreage stood at 0.83 lakh hectares, marginally higher than 0.77 lakh hectares. Coarse cereals, including jowar, have been planted in Maharashtra at 1.52 lakh hectares, followed by Karnataka at 1.39 lakh hectares and Tamil Nadu at 0.91 lakh hectares.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *