Adani’s coal project in Australia may take off as new govt comes to power

A surprise election victory for Australia’s pro-coal ruling Coalition is ratcheting up pressure on the Queensland state government to approve development in one of the biggest untapped reserves of the fossil fuel. Adani Group’s Carmichael coal project is located in Australia’s huge Galilee Basin, which if fully developed, has the potential to more than double […]

Read more

China says to step up efforts to further slash steel and coal overcapacity this year

Chinese authorities said the country will press ahead with the efforts to cut excess capacity in key areas, including coal and steel sectors, this year, according to the official Xinhua news agency. In 2019, the government will focus on structural capacity cuts and promote the systematic improvement of production capacity, it quoted a circular jointly […]

Read more

Tata Power puts coal on the backburner

Tata Power plans to forego thermal power capacity expansion in favour of renewable sources, according to a report by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis. The company’s plan till 2025 is for 70% of capacity expansion to come from renewable energy, and the remaining 30% from the acquisition of coal plants rather than […]

Read more

Some policies to boost coal production have been counterproductive – report

Some policies formulated with the intent of improving coal availability in the country, have been counter productive, a report by the International Institute for Sustainable Development said. “Across all major drivers that affect coal, there is also an important role being played by policy, where generous lending practices and interventions that reduce the cost of […]

Read more

Increase of cheaper coal in Southeast Asia foils global green push

Southeast Asian countries are turning to low-cost coal to satisfy their surging electricity demand as the West shies away from the fossil fuel under pressure from green-minded investors. Indonesia is on track for the third-largest coal-fired power capacity of new plants under development, behind China and India. Vietnam follows in fourth place, while the Philippines […]

Read more